Wednesday 19 May 2010

Tipping Point – Book 4/33

 

I read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell following a recommendation from one of my work colleagues. It’s a pretty interesting book that details a theory as to why things become popular.

One thing I liked from the book was how he explores the concept of Connectors (someone who knows lots of people), Mayverns (someone who knows a lot of everything) and Salespeople (someone who likes to push things). I’d like to consider myself more of a mavern but I suppose there is usually a bit more than one of the three in an individual.

The other thing I picked out from this book which I didn’t know before was that Sesame Street was written with children AND adults in mind. I.e. the show’s writers also wanted to make the show entertaining for adults and so there is a lot of clever humour that a young child would probably miss altogether.

Tipping Point provides you with an explanation of how things get popular but it’s still pretty hard to put it into practice.

Check out the list of other books I’ve read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment