Tuesday 21 September 2010

33. Try 3 Michelin restaurants (1/3)

Firstly, what’s a Michelin restaurant? (I didn’t know myself before moving to London).
A Michelin star restaurant is similar to (and probably better than) the Chef’s Hat in Australia.
According to to Wikipedia:
“The guide awards one to three stars to a small number of restaurants of outstanding quality. One star indicates "a very good restaurant in its category, worth a stop." A two-star ranking represents "excellent cooking, worth a detour", and three stars are awarded to restaurants offering "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey."
A three-star Michelin ranking is exceedingly rare. As of late 2009, only 26 three-star restaurants existed in France, and only 81 in the world”

 

St John Bar and Restaurant

So the first Michelin restaurant (to be included in this blog) is St John Bar and Restaurant. A friend of ours organised a group for the feasting menu with a whole pig being the highlight – everything from nose to tail - yep – everything a pig could offer (including the head and trotter!).
We watched the pig as it was brought to our table to be served.

Well it certainly didn’t look like the pig that’s pictured on the St John’s website (below)

And was it tasty? Well it just tasted porky. Erm. There was a lot of meat – LOTS – even with twenty of us, we couldn’t finish it. Did it taste like a one star Michelin restaurant? maybe not. I think it was different in what it presented but I didn’t think the food was anything special.

3 comments:

  1. I am with you Lily. I think the stars are a little bit devalued anyway but, if you compare to British standards, it was probably a good meal.

    I recommend you go to one in France or in Spain... it´s a different experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I deleted my comment by mistake. It just said that if I weren't a vegetarian I would've definitely tried this restaurant when I was in London. What are the other two restaurants on your list to make up the three?

    ReplyDelete