Thursday 14 May 2009

We need to talk about Kevin - Book 2 of 33


I've just finished reading "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver which is centred around a fictional high school shooting. Her book is written from the perspective of an unwilling career driven mother who dislikes her son even before he is born - and her son dislikes her back.

It is a harrowing read, as much as I couldn't empathise with the mother, I just couldn't put the book down. Scarily, the other day I watched a BBC documentary on child geniuses and there was a boy with an IQ of 170 (the highest obtainable) that was very similar to the killer in the book. Being very frustrated and very bored, the boy took a replica knife to school. Enough said.

My list of books I've read and would like to read

1 comment:

  1. Is that a library book? I'm so impressed - I haven't borrowed a library book in years. I shall go and check out the New York Public Library now.

    ReplyDelete